Dhammikarama Burmese Buddhist Temple, Penang

The Dhammikarama Burmese Buddhist Temple is situated along Burma Lane in Pulau Tikus and was founded on 1st August 1803, the temple was known as “Nandy Moloh Burmese Temple” then. This place of public worship was purchased by Nonya Betong from George Layton, granted by Sir George Leith Baronet, LT. Governer of Prince of Wales Island, for 390 Spanish Dollars and donated to the temple.

Being one of the earliest and the only Burmese Temple in Malaysia and featuring the historical pagoda, the temple’s well and Sima hall, the temple was designated in 1988 as one of the state’s historical sites to be preserved as a tourist attraction.

The temple is always managed by a Chief Monk to facilitate and complement the practice of Buddhism, the temple has a main shrine hall, a sima hall, a dining hall, monk’s quarters, preceptee’s lodge, Sunday school, a library and a lecture hall. The first Chief Monk of the temple was Venerable U. Nandamala

The Dhammikarama Burmese Buddhist Temple has been identified as one of the fifteen historical sites to be launched under the visit Penang year 1988 in the state of Penang.The temple grounds which is renowned for its green and serene environment, had participated and was awarded the 1st prize in the state landscaping and beautification programme held in 1997 and 2001.

Dhammikarama Burmese Buddhist Temple